Wednesday, May 18, 2011

TIME IS GOLD

The mission is to live up to the picture. Mission starts umm.. now.

So I have just discovered 'something' about myself last night while staring into space, freezing myself in the nook of my room - I actually have very little 'me' time.

Like any normal person, I have a 9-6 job working 5 days a week. However, due to my 'busy' lifestyle, I make it a point to mark my activities in my phone calendar. I'm obviously phone dependent, my brain memory stopped functioning in the year 2000 since I had my first cell phone. So yesterday I was flipping through my calendar and as I was browsing the past months, I noticed that I have attended SO MANY appointments, special talks and meetings. Let me list them down for you.

January   : Fresh year, so I only had 1 activity throughout the entire month.
February : 17 activities out of 28 days 
March     : 20 activities out of 31 days
April       : 17 activities out of 30 days
May       : 16 activities out of 31 days

waaa banyak nya.

I am not complaining, no no no. I just need time to sit back, relax and enjoy having some 'me' time. Yes I'm a self proclaimed duracell bunny and I can go on without resting for days, even batteries need to recharge! So I checked myself again, Alhamdulillah those hectic schedule was mostly put to beneficial use. May Allah forgive me if some didn't.

Let's take a stroll down memory lane.

4 years ago when I joined the advertising industry, I don't remember having 3 meals a day. I worked as a line producer in a production company for a year and a half producing TV commercials and that was one tough job. I wasn't trained in the army but that job almost made me feel like I was in a military camp. I remember shooting a TVC for HSBC Singapore, the preparation for that ad was only 3 weeks. We had a small team who literally did everything. Our job title didn't mean much at that point because when the 11th hour strikes, you just need to get up on your own two feet and get it done yourself. We had a tough time looking for the main talent, there weren't that many pan-Asians in KL and our clients were really fussy (I don't blame them). I personally held casting for over 400 talents within the span of a week and a half and edited the casting videos myself. Editing videos can be very tedious, you need to use your creativity in finding the right 'act'. Only Allah knows the level of stress I had at the time, I couldn't be bothered with anything else but only to get the job done. Then comes the shoot day, I didn't sleep for 3 days on set and came late on the 4th day of shoot. Crew call was 6am and I came at 10.30am - Dah macam zombie.

The feeling of liberation when the shoot ended was indescribable. The moment the assistant director shouted "IT'S A WRAP", I almost raised my hands saying "MERDEKA" just like Tuanku Abdul Rahman in 1957. I miss the production industry, working behind the set, producing a TVC, getting involved in every single detail of the ad but I sure won't go back to that lifestyle - Pengsan.

That was just one shoot. I went through more than one within the span of one and a half years. The things you see on TV are all based on hard work and it's not a glamorous job. Nothing glamorous about not having enough sleep and untimely meals. Plus, I don't even watch TV (except for cooking channels).  

Then I was offered a position in an International advertising agency. Wah the joy!! The first thing that came to mind? "I GET TO BE THE CLIENT ON SET! WOOHOO"

That 'woohoo' was short lived. I later found out (the hard way) that being in a big advertising agency wasn't going to buy me ticket-to-freedom-of-going-home-early-after-work. I handled a really tough account (client) for 2 years but I gained much knowledge from it as well, Alhamdulillah. Nothing is easy in life, everything we go through are really lessons for us to learn and we should take it as a stepping stone to improve ourselves better. I love advertising, no really I do. It challenges the intellect and advertising people are in constant need of new ideas. There is no such thing as 'recycling ideas'. Your client would probably throw her shoes in your mouth for recycled ideas.

Back from strolling down memory lane.

I'm still in advertising. heh. BUT I am using my time more wisely now. I actually spend a lot of time attending various talks, mixing with wonderful sisters and reading to insha'Allah gain more knowledge. I try to read even if I'm exhausted coming home from work everyday, mentally I am tired but the enthusiasm of learning the religion of Allah is always jumping. It's amazing how our mind works, really. You know you're tired after looking at the computer screen for 9 hours and you just wanna drop dead on your bed the moment you step in the house. Somehow that just doesn't happen (ok sometimes it does. There were days when I literally pass out till the next morning). There is this sense of attachment to the religion that makes me feel obligated to go to class, open up a book, listen to a short lecture on youtube or at least read 'something inspirational' from some authentic Islamic website. As a result, I always go to bed with a satisfying feeling! Allahu Akbar! Chats over drinks at the kopitiam has never been this good too, isn't it amazing to be able to speak about Islam with your posse knowing that they too are seeking ways to please Allah? Waah friends like these are gems to have and I do love them sincerely for the sake of Allah.  

So all those whopping crazy jammed packed activities were satisfying after all. I am very grateful for all His blessings. Grateful to be alive and grateful to be given the chance to do all these that could insha Allah please my Creator.

Please include me in your du'a.. May Allah grant us steadfastness in learning His beautiful religion.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment